Monday, January 24, 2011

Clickable TV Ads; Yay or Nay?

For a variety of reasons, I left my house 2-3 times at the most this weekend. What that means is that I've been watching more TV than is healthy for any single individual (my GF was with me so let's chalk 50% off of my consumption).

What I noticed was that on three different cable stations [ed note; we are talking cable networks, not a primary network e.g. ABC, NBC...], was that clickable TV ads had a larger presence than I've ever seen before.  Up until yesterday, I had seen a sum total of 1 clickable TV ad on my Comcast box.  It was a GM ad that offered me the chance to click onto a screen, enter my address, and then get sent a brochure on the Chevy Silverado truck.  The input process was laborious and time consuming, and I didn't finish.  However, the idea of it all was astounding.  A true DR TV ad?  Watch an ad and perform a response?  Wild stuff.

Back to this weekend; three cosmetic ads offering to click for a coupon that would be emailed to me.  Very easy process, one entry field.  Let's make it clear the aesthetics of these ads were terrible, they looked like Comcast's guide.  But, as time-shifted television continues to become a more prevalent topic, as well as DVRs, connected TVs, etc., do we think interactive television ads are too little too late?  Or are they cable networks saving grace for not losing all their money to the online space?

No comments:

Post a Comment