Thursday, August 28, 2008

A Long Awaited Post

Despite my recent absence from the blogging world, I’m glad to say I’m back with some emotional healing. Some personal matters have brought the power and human need for emotion to the forefront of my thinking, both personally and professionally.

I was thinking about the power of emotional appeal, the strength of a personal connection, and how these feelings affect our lives as consumers. I know that I am personally drawn to certain products because they evoke a memory or emotion for me, and I try to think about that every time I make a decision. How will this affect person X? Will it be different for person Y? Every marketing plan should consider the emotional state of their consumer segment.

Similarly, when building a business, my specialty, what do you want your business to stand for? Sure, you have a product that you will sell. But you’d be surprised how many business decisions are clouded by emotion.

Also, click here for a great article on emotional appeal from Harvard Business Publishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment