Friday, April 18, 2008

The State of The Industry – Post AdTech

AdTech 2008 was BIG; 14,000 attendees big.

Being only my 2nd AdTech, I can honestly say my perspective and knowledge has grown dramatically since I attended last year. I’ve walked the floor, talked to booths, and observed very intensely the action in Moscone Center.

The Good:
There seems to be genuine positive effort towards developing this industry into more than just banner ads and search. Both viable programs and a necessary element to any media plan for sure. But the future is bright beyond those traditional placements. All week I heard lots of talk about emerging media, but not so much about how to execute, (which seems par for the course at this point). I openly admit that I am biased because everyday I’m surrounded with five of the most forward thinking individuals I’ve ever known. We pride ourselves on taking chances and being thought leaders. Our belief is in progress, and we are passionate about the development of this industry. The question is who will follow and match our energy and excitement?

The Bad:
I don’t pretend to be an expert by any means. My path in this business is a steep steep learning curve, yet I do think I’ve developed worthy opinions and ideas rather quickly. HOWEVER, I should not be able to walk up to several booths, and stump employees of presenting companies. I challenged several of the individuals at a couple technology company booths (automated search and in- text advertising), and I was shocked to hear that there were no answers to my questions. I asked a Marin Software employee about their solution’s level of automation when it came to deep link URL indexing and dynamic updates to creative copy. To a Search Engine Marketing (SEM) professional, especially one who works for an SEM technology company, this question shouldn’t be that challenging. The gentlemen told me it was his second week and he didn’t know what that was. SO WHY WAS HE ON THE FLOOR? (This is your cue to click here --> Kenshoo)

It pains me to sit around thinking that our industry is growing and maturing, yet companies claiming to change the way our business functions can’t put an educated body on the floor of one of the industry’s most vital events.
AdTech 2008 was an educational and exciting week, and I’m excited to see how our industry responds as a whole.

4 comments:

  1. Adam, I'd be happy to host you at our offices for a demo of Marin Search Marketer, our enterprise-class paid search management application. As for your question to our account executive, I have to tell you that in over 200 meetings this one has not come up as it doesn't drive decisions by major search advertisers and agencies. I'd say it's a nice to have but not a core decision point for any of our prospects. Please feel free to email me to arrange a time to visit with us.

    Best Regards,

    Chris Lien
    Marin Software

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adam if you're still pained by the lack of knowledge you ascribe to your fellow industry beacons of light, then I would kindly ask that your firm play more of a public role in SEM knowledge dispersal. More than any recent SEM entrant, Kenshoo (where I assume you work) says nothing to nobody 'bout nuthin' unless there's a deal to be had. Not a bad strategy, but you gotta show some leg yourself, so to speak. For all we know, Kenshoo might be nothing more than lipstick on a feed management pig.

    ReplyDelete
  3. searchquant...based on reading your comment I'd have to say you need to put your "real" doll in the closet and go out and interact with an actual woman. For free. But I wouldn't try using your "beacons of light" and "feed management pig" lines. Actual women don't care for men who speak like that. I'm sure your real doll always smiles though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow [anonymous] Kat, I didn't know that Adam was a woman (he's not) first of all, and second, that using metaphors like 'showing some leg' (meaning 'tell us about your solution') or 'lipstick on a pig' could elicit such virulent feminazism.

    My wife of 12 years (and mother of our 3 children) is saying something over my shoulder that is making me giggle; I won't repeat it here, though, as you probably wouldn't like those metaphors either...

    ReplyDelete