Monday, April 21, 2008

My DVR Made Me Culturally Late


I continue to have a negative outlook on the reality TV show era, despite its huge popularity across the middle of this great nation. However, I have been a dedicated follower to “Rob & Big,” MTVs weekly parade of pro skateboarder Rob Dyrdek and his bodyguard/best friend Christopher “Big Black” Boykins.

This past week, the season finale showed the duo parting ways as Big Black gave birth to his daughter and moved out of the pair’s Hollywood hill’s home. I was genuinely touched by Big Black working towards fatherhood, and was devastated knowing the series was over.
As I woke up this morning just waiting to talk about it with someone, I realized that I had watched the episode on my DVR, five days after it initially aired.

Being in marketing and media means staying culturally relevant, and as I thought I woke up with breaking news, it was last week’s hot topic. The fine line between controlling content and staying current on my media was definitely blurred for me yesterday.

I hope my mistake will be a warning to you all; DVR/Tivo is only as powerful as the way you use it. Let yourself get too behind, and it’s like trying to discuss last week’s newspaper headlines; It’s done and no one cares any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment